Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The GSIS Art Competition 2011

Its my first year to join the GSIS art competition. Heck I haven't even been painting for a year - just 7 months doing it seriously when I have the time.

The exhibit is located at the GSIS Museum and artists were instructed to claim their pieces on 3 July.
If you are interested to see the exhibit then you have to schedule a visit soon.

During the awards night last 3 June I got to see for the first time all the other artworks. There were more than 400 entries.  If I can remember correctly there were 18, 14 and 4 finalists for Non-representational, Representational and Sculpture categories.

I've learned a lot in that competition and in my own opinion I can summarize it as such.

For the representational category
1. Use 1 subject only - never do a mural type painting with so much going on at different parts of the painting. Overly intricate or detailed paintings don't usually win.
2. Always use realism as a style. Impressionism will also work (such as the winning piece will show you) but employ surrealism as well.

For the non-representational category
1. Don't scrimp on paint. Use lots of it! Use lots of textures.
2. Use a non-traditional color palette and don't over do it. The less colors the better.  A sweet eye-pleasing  abstract would do.  Of course it still boils down to the judge's tastes.
3.  Get a good title. 

Here's a look at some of the pieces. I didn't bother to get the titles and names of each one. Unfortunately I had to use my cell phone to take these pics. I didn't check the batteries of the Nikon D40 camera I brought with me.  Sorry for the bad pics.

Juror's choice.  There seems to be a lot of paintings with children drawing on sand or on the ground. The realism in this painting clinched it for the artist.







Very intricate and laborious painting to make. As  I have observed, paintings like this seldom win. Too bad.  



Abstract. Very simple. Very nice minimalist painting.

Artist Dante Alarcon of Los Baños, Laguna with another Laguna artists painting.

Fantastic corn painting.  Love the details on this one but the subject did not conform with the theme.

Another nice painting.

Laguna artist Emil's painting.

Mang Turing's painting

Nice painting. When I saw this painting, the execution was very good  that I almost felt like that he was using chalk.



Fantastic realism on this one.  Concept was also very good. Wondered why it didn't make the finals.

Nice minimalist painting. The colors in this pic are bad.  Original color is very red.


Some more paintings.

Good concept...a city on a rooster's comb.

Non-representational paintings

Mang Dante's painting.  I felt a visible change in Mang Dante's aura that time when he saw where his painting was located.  I have a beef with those who placed this painting here. Number 1 - Part of it is behind a column. Number 2 - There are ATMs in front of it. Number 3 - There is a movable bulletin board also blocking the way.  In my opinion, each and every artwork should be respected.  Handlers should also be educated not to drag paintings.  Mine was dragged on the floor during the submission. My painting has no frame and with sides painted.

Finalist on the right.  Excellent classical impressionism painting.

Very nice painting.  Notice child-like drawings on the brick wall?

Very intricate painting .

The most intricate I've seen in this competition.  Fantastic skills!

My personal favorite.  The title is also a winner "Punong puno ng Pag-asa". This is pop surrealism so it didn't make the cut. Will there be a day for this style?

Excellent skill!

Some more top abstracts.
2nd Place - Aris Bagtas (left) and Dante Palmes' Virtual Zone - Juror's Choice. Pic lifted from Dante Palmes' fb album. Dante has 2 entries - both finalists and 1 made it as a Juror's Choice. Congrats Dante!

Laguna artist Dante Palmes' painting. Finalist!
Grand Winner and P240k richer. Deserving to win it!

Laguna artist Lito Ballaran's painting. When I saw this I knew it would be up there competing for the top prize. Nice concept and execution.  Finalist.

My personal choice to win it. Without the tower on his head, it would be better in my opinion. Juror's choice.

Incredible painting. Sort of like Manansala in curvism instead of cubism.  Juror's Choice I believe. But the mural concept doesn't really bode well with the judges.

Education concept for a better future.  I guessed that this was the default of many and was also the judges slant. Juror's choice.  I decided to stay away from education as my theme. Not that I think that it mattered at all.


2nd place - Representational.  Education concept = winner!

Fantastic astronaut in the background.  This guy has been painting bubbles shaped-like letters for a long time. 

Aside from the skill look at the reflection and you'll see why this was a finalist.

Sam Occeno's (guy in white) painting along with the top abstracts.

Finalist - nice strokes.

Very simple concept - Finalist.

A personal favorite. One of the top abstracts I believe. 

Children drawing on sand - a favorite concept. 

Look at the cursor pulling one of the strings. Juror's choice.


My painting covered by a railing and with the light at the back hence the painting was dark.  I didn't think I'll win anything but as I mentioned every painting deserves respect. Each one should be treated as the winner.
Congratulations to all the winners! When I say winners I mean the organizers and all the artists who joined.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive research, more so, if the photo-captions were articulated.

Oeuvres of artists must be revered, as they are the imaginings of the soul and reflections of the spirit of beings called, "artists".

Thank you for the information. Ymmanwel Rico Provinio

Anonymous said...

Great I learned a lot from you. very nice review keep it up....Josie Escobañez

Paul Hilario said...

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I could have elaborated more about the paintings. Maybe next time I'll spent more time doing that. At the time of writing the article, I didn't have much spare time. Yikes, I have typed the word "time" too much. I have a lot of time now :-)